For festive gifts with a difference - all from Norwich and Norfolk- take a look at our carefully collated list of ideas. From tasty treats to experiential gifts, there’s something for everyone here – there, we’ve done the hard work for you!
Image: Banham Zoo
FOR THE FAMILY
Image: Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery
- Museums passes are a great way for the whole family to explore a new (or favourite) museum, and Norfolk Museums offer great value passes for the whole year, giving you unlimited access into Norfolk’s 10 great museums! For more information on this click here. Banham Zoo, Africa Alive!, Dinosaur Adventure and Amazona Zoo also offer season tickets to their attractions, valid for a year, which give you unlimited entry and would make ideal Christmas presents.
- The Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts has a great gallery shop which is full of art, architecture and design-related goodies. Whether you’re after books, jewellery, prints or cards, they’re all on offer, plus much more - browse through wonderful and unique items that you’re unlikely to find on the high street. That solves the question of what to get your art-loving friends!
- One of the city’s hidden gems, the Plantation Garden, offers very reasonable annual membership for visitors to become Garden members, allowing them unlimited entry and special events plus that warm fuzzy feeling that you’re helping such a lovely attraction continue to ‘grow’! Annual memberships are available for individuals or families.
- Tickets to Theatre Royal’s 2016 pantomime, Jack and the Beanstalk, will be a sure-fire hit with kids of all ages. Treat everyone to a trip to see this magical, silly performance – and under 3’s go free!
FOR AVID READERS
Image: The Book Hive
- Jarrolds book department is a cosy area of this iconic store, filled with books from a wide range of genres plus many local titles to browse too. If you’re after something specific then they’ll order it into the store for you.
- The Book Hive is not only a wonderful bookshop with lots of great titles for sale, but also offers what is possibly our favourite present of all, because it keeps on giving month after month: ‘A Book Hive Year’, where the lucky recipient will be sent a book a month for 12 months. Not chosen by random, you understand- it will be a specially curated selection based on their interests!
- Tombland Bookshop is located right opposite the Cathedral and has plenty of second-hand, academic and specialist books for sale, so it’s the ideal place to pick up a truly special bookish gift.
- City Bookshop is a family-run business which specialises in rare and out-of-print books, with a great range of subjects and lots of local titles too!
Remember: the above bookshops offer gift vouchers (or, if not, they accept book tokens) - ideal if you’d rather leave the question of ‘which book?’ up to the recipient.
TREATS FOR FOODIES
Image: English Whisky Company
- Woodforde’s Ales offers a wide range of award-winning products, not all alcoholic – there are souvenirs, clothing and some locally-sourced edible delights. It’s the ideal place to purchase gifts for any beer-enthusiast!
- A bottle of award-winning whisky is ideal for any whisky connoisseur, and English Whisky Company does a fantastic range of over 200 different varieties as well as liqueurs and gifts. Their online shop has free delivery for orders totalling £55 and over, right until Christmas Eve (orders must include a 70cl whisky product, see their website for more details).
- Cupcakes & Bubbles have the perfect treat for any bubbles and cake lover: a Christmas Gift Box! It’s actually an attractive gift box, inside of which you’ll find a gift voucher that the recipient can redeem instore for delicious cupcakes (choose from a range of scrummy flavours) and a glass of bubbly! Prices from £9; visit their website for the full menu. (Whilst you’re in there try their hot mulled cider – it smells and tastes divine!)
- Make your own Christmas hampers to give as gifts, filled with foodie delights from local shops and cafes; Jarrolds have a wonderful Deli with premium goods for sale or head to Louis’ Deli on Upper St Giles Street for savoury and sweet treats.
SPORTS & SPAS
Image: Golf at Barnham Broom
- Treat someone to a game of golf at Sprowston Manor, Dunston Hall and Barnham Broom – all do special golfing weekend deals too - because what golfer wouldn’t also love a luxurious hotel break at the same time?
- Go Ape is a great way to spend a fun few hours, jumping around treetop platforms and sliding down zip wires in Thetford Forest. Test how bold you can be whilst you’re high up in the trees – and they have a fantastic Segway Experience too! They also offer gift vouchers so you can give someone the Go Ape experience; the perfect present for anyone who’s a bit of an adventure-seeker!
- What better treat to give than the gift of relaxation? Sprowston Manor, Dunston Hall, Barnham Broom, Norfolk Mead and The Maids Head Hotel all have fantastic spa or beauty facilities on-site, and many offer dedicated spa breaks to really treat someone special.
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE EVERYTHING
Image: Cupcakes & Bubbles
- Pick up bejewelled gifts at the gorgeous Sonkai in the heart of the Norwich Lanes; many of their products are unique, having been created from hand-drawn designs.
- The Tannery, in the beautiful Royal Arcade, have a gorgeous selection of leather bags, handbags, shoes, luggage and accessories, including designer goods and favourite brands including Orla Kiely and Church’s, plus many others.
- Head to Moosey Art in the Norwich Lanes and pick up a unique gift which will really impress any art-lover; pick up limited-edition prints, clothing or original works depending on your budget!
- The Bear Shop is a bear collector’s paradise, with Steiff, Charlie and many other collectable craft bears. In fact, this artisan shop sells hundreds of designs and is a destination for collectors from all over the world!
- Treat someone to an Afternoon Tea voucher - there’s plenty of choice around here! Try The Assembly House, Maids Head Hotel, Norfolk Mead Hotel, Café Britannia and Cupcakes & Bubbles.
- Pick up a Norwich-themed gift from The Norwich Shop; browse items at the Tourist Information Centre or shop online from their wide range of gifts and present ideas – from Norwich-branded bags and tea towels to books about the area; they’re all here!
Image: The Bear Shop
WANT MORE CHRISTMAS?
For the finer details on Christmas in Norwich visit our dedicated Christmas section on VisitNorwich.co.uk. There's info on where to stay, eat, shop and explore as well as lots of additional information - it's all here!
COMING TO VISIT?
Greater Anglia have Advance fares from £9 one way between London Liverpool Street and Norwich. Trains run every 30 minutes. Abellio also serves Colchester, Ipswich and Diss on the Norwich line. Direct trains also run from Cambridge.
East Midlands Trains runs services from Liverpool, Manchester and Nottingham.
Flights into Norwich served from Edinburgh, Manchester, Exeter, Aberdeen, Jersey*, Guernsey* and Amsterdam.