Each week our PR manager Mel will be highlighting some of the best events and things to do over the next week or so, live on Future Radio!
If you heard us on there this week then have a read to remind yourselves of what we talked about (and don’t forget to tune in to Future Radio at 4.15pm each Friday to stay up to date!) - we've got a glorious weekend ahead of us with the sun due to shine both Saturday and Sunday!
Here are Mel's picks:
- Take a self-guided trail around city to the many wonderful gallery venues open for free at the moment – some close next week so this is a 'last chance to see weekend'. Start at the NUA MA Degree Shows (until 10 Aug) at Guntons building, then head to The St George's building still at NUA for a healthy dose of British Art Show. Meander up the road to Bridewell Alley to find East Gallery NUA and continue the British Art Show story. Finally end your trail at The Undercroft, at the top of the market, for the Norwich 20 group exhibition which finishes on Sunday. If you're feeling peckish by this point see if there's a table to grab at Brick, they sell absolutely delicious fresh wood fired oven pizzas which are extremely delicious and very reasonably priced. You can get a simple large pizza for around £5 which is large enough for 2 to share. It's located just behind the Sir Garnet Woolsey.
- For British Art Show 8 the Northern Ballet Company will perform a new work inspired by and incorporating one of the important pieces currently on display as part of British Art Show 8 in Norwich. The event will take place in the atmospheric setting of Norwich Castle's impressive 12th century keep notable for its magnificent stone arches. Tickets £16, Friday August 12 at 7.00pm.
- At intu Chapelfield they have a host of Super Hero activities going on all summer for young children – all free. So if you are out shopping this is a good place to start.
- Saturday is the last chance to catch High School Prom Queen at Norwich Theatre Royal it follows the story of students at Swallow Falls High as they prepare for the all-important prom and features fun, excitement, comedy, great songs and adventure. Presented by Norwich Theatre Royal Youth Company which is made up of young people drawn from across the region.
- Footgolf arrived at Mousehold Heath this week, so if you fancy a game head see full details for dates and times on the city council website.
Sunday in Norwich sees the second Run Norwich event full details of the route will be on the city council website. If you're not running why not go along and support the event by being a spectator! Follow this with the free Bandstand concert at Chapelfield gardens, this week it's the turn of The Norwich Accordion Band.
- In Diss town centre on Sunday 7th August, it's about all things vintage! The 2016 Diss Heritage Transport Fayre will feature a display of old motor cars and commercial vehicles, vintage motor cycles, old bicycles, pedal cars, hot rods and barn finds, in fact anything old and interesting with a transport theme will be very welcome. Free entry from 10am – 4pm. Sounds like it will be great fun.
- Norwich City Council annually puts on a programme of school holiday activities in city parks which started at the end of July. There are 20 Play Days in total, each one packed with a host of free children's activities, including Punch and Judy, magic shows, face painting, games, treasure hunts, circus skills, craft-making and pesky parrots! They will be held from 11am to 3pm and run until Thursday 25 August. Theatre shows are running from Friday 29 July to Friday 26 August, with multiple performances at different venues on some days. All details are on the city council website.
- Holkham Hall presents outdoor theatre with a performance of Peter Pan on Wednesday. Fairhaven Woodland &Water Garden has more activities this week with tracking skills and Wildlife Wednesday – see our website for full details and prices.
- Gressenhall Farm & Workhouse has just launched fantastic new displays and galleries including wonderful cutting edge projections. They have 'I'm in the Workhouse – get me out of here!' all summer.
Check out our website for lots more events: www.visitnorwich.co.uk