CHRISTMAS EVENTS AND NYE SHINDIGS
If you're still pondering how to spend the festive season, then this list is for you!
Carols at the Octagon Chapel, to raise money for Age UK Norfolk
- On Wednesday 13th at 11am, OPEN will be holding their FREE Carol Concert in aid of the OPEN youth trust, plus you’ll be able to browse loads of craft stalls, all selling things you wouldn’t be able to get on the high street. Free, donations welcome.
- Wednesday 13th at 6.30pm, St Peter Mancroft are holding a carol service to raise money for Keeping Abreast. Again, event is FREE but donations gratefully accepted.
- Wednesday 13th at 7pm, at the Octagon Chapel, the Arnolds Keys Charity Committee are hosting an evening with Norwich Community Choir, to raise money for the fantastic work of Age UK Norfolk. Mulled wine and mince pies will be served in the interval, tickets cost £8.50
- The next day on Thursday the 14th, at the cathedral of St John the Baptist, join the 200 voices of the combined UEA Choir and UEA Chamber Choir. Hear music by Rutter, Vaughn Williams, as well as some well known Christmas Carols, accompanied by organist William Falconer. The event starts at 19.30 and tickets at £9 and £6 concessions.
Festive Food Fair at Holkham Hall
- On Thursday 14th and Friday 15th at The Forum, Modern Country Crafts gathers an exciting selection of local craft traders and artists under one roof. Browse the very best of East Anglia’s thriving handmade craft and gift stalls – entry is free.
- On Friday 15th through to Sunday 17th, The Fresh Artisan Market will be at the Shoe Factory Social Club in St Mary’s Works. Pick up handcrafted and original prints, jewellery, ceramics and other arts, and entry is free! The Saturday and Sunday fairs starts at 10am, and the Friday fair begins at 5pm.
- The beautiful Holkham Hall will be hosting their Festive Food and Drink Fair that weekend too, on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th. You’ll find the best from regional producers, as well as a cookery theatre and festive music! Entry to this is free, and the fair runs from 10am – 5pm.
Three very different Christmas Carols
Lost in Translation Circus
- How about A Christmas Circus Carol? Students from the Oak Circus will be performing alongside professionals from the Lost in Translation Circus troupe, to bring you a version of the Charles Dickens classic that you’ll never forget. All in their stunning converted church, this will not only tell a wonderful story about the spirit of Christmas, but you’ll also be able to see some of the skills that you too can learn at the Oak! The cabaret will be performed each night this weekend, with performances on Friday 15th and Saturday 16th starting at 7pm, and the Sunday 17th performance starting at 5pm. Tickets cost £5.
- From Wednesday 20th December to Sunday 31st December, Planet Theatre Productions will be performing ‘A Christmas Carol the Musical’, in the Daynes Sports Centre at Norwich Cathedral School. This immersive, family friendly production features a live band, music, dance and drama making it a must-see production of a traditional story with all the trimmings.
- Back by popular demand for a mini tour, the sell-out ‘Sh!t Theatre: Muppets Xmas Carol’ comes to Norwich Arts Centre on Wednesday 13th December at 8pm. Go sing-a-long to the best Christmas film ever, support Michael Caine as he does some ‘acting’ and witness laughter, redemption and singing food! Tickets £7 advance and £9 on the door, with a goody bag and whiskey all included!
Christmas Events with a Twist
Norwich Ghost Walks with the Man in Black
- Fancy a Christmas stomp around? On Monday the 18th join Fitty Gomash at OPEN for a barndance of epic proportions. Expect all the sights, smells, moves and grooves of a hoe-down in a Scottish castle, with rip-roaring melodies from around the British Isles to get your feet tapping and those partners swung to the rafters. Tickets £10 advance + booking fee
- Norwich Man in Black will be running a special series of Christmas-special ghost walks, from Monday 11th December to Thursday 21st December 2017. Enjoy a walk around Norwich as you hear Christmas ghost stories gathered in from all over the country. Tickets are £9, and come complete with a glass of mulled wine (or soft drink) and a mince pie at the Adam and Eve pub - check our website for times.
New Year's Eve
The terrace at The Rooftop Garden, Norwich
- The Rooftop Garden are hosting a spectacular Studio 54 themed NYE party, so you can see in 2018 like Cher. Enjoy a champagne bar, disco, and one of the most exclusive views in the city. With tickets for either the outdoor terrace or the restaurant inside, click here for more information.
- Soul Stew at Norwich Arts Centre is bringing together all the best DJ’s this fine city has to offer. Soul Stew promotes local selectors with a wide range of genres that compromise anything soulful: Soul, Tropical, R&B, Gospel, Disco, Neo Soul and House. Tickets: £10 early bird, £12.50 adv. £15 door.
- See in the new year at OPEN, who have pulled together three of the hottest nights in Norwich for their Tropical NYE. Norwich Soul Train promises to have everyone shaking until the small hours, alongside Just Is reggae soundsystem, and Afro Boom bringing some genuine tropical flavours. Plus catch an all-star DJ lineup including Plump DJs, The Allergies and The Nextmen. Prices start at £10 advance, so check the website for details.
- So it's not New Year's Eve but it sort of counts - you can start 2018 by putting your best foot forward at Fairhaven Garden for a beautiful, wintery guided tour. Learn all about the garden past and present, plus finish your walk with a complimentary mince pie and hot mulled wine in the tearoom. Walk included with garden entry.
COMING TO VISIT?
Greater Anglia has Advance fares from £10 one way between London Liverpool Street and Norwich. Trains run every 30 minutes. Greater Anglia also serves Colchester, Ipswich and Diss on the Norwich line. Direct trains also run from Cambridge.
East Midlands Trains runs services from Liverpool, Manchester and Nottingham.
Flights into Norwich served from Edinburgh, Manchester, Exeter, Aberdeen, Jersey*, Guernsey* and Amsterdam.